Ph.D. students may specialize in:
- Environmental engineering
- Bioprocessing engineering
- Information and electrical technology
- Machinery systems
- Natural resource engineering
- Structures and environment
The minimum requirements for a Ph.D. degree are 90 credit hours beyond the bachelor's degree, including a Ph.D. dissertation of at least 30 semester hours based upon major, original research. Students who hold an M.S. degree may request transfer of up to 30 credit hours of that degree toward a Ph.D. degree. Award of a doctorate requires successful completion of the equivalent of at least three full years of full-time study beyond the baccalaureate.